Sunday 6 May 2012

Magazine Printed

Test Print

The fist copy of my magazine I had decided to get test printed in case there was any problems with printing, or anything that I had go wrong. When I went to the printers, I checked through this copy and realised that I had to make a few changes.
Firstly, I created seperator pages so that the shoots didnt get lost within each other and there was a clear definition of each one. These pages were gradients of colour that related to the colours in the shoot. Unfortunatley, as I had printed on unglossed paper and the colours were quite light for the printers to pick up, the pages came out with printer lines. I had to resave the images darker and more saturated so thtat the printer would be able to pick up the colours.
Secondly, one of the pages I had forgotten to fill in the text boxes with writing which was relevant to that tutorial. Another issue was that for the captions I have chosen size 6 font and on w few of them i chose white for the font colour. This, as some of the backgrounds came out lighter, meant that the text wasn's visible, so I had to change that. I went through every single page in my magazine on InDesign and adjusted everything.

Final Prints

As these small problems took such a long time to change and the issues I was having previously, I was able to get 4 copies printed and bound before the bank holiday weekend, which was perfect as I only need one to submit and a few others just in case anything happens to the others. I had to decrese the amount of copies I wanted too because of financial issues, but this proved to be fine.
15 copies perfect bound for £140
These copies came out fine apart from a few small hiccups.
The pastel shoot; when editing the magazine again for reprinting, I had redited quite a few of the shoots too because of the prointing quality. Some of the images came out over exposed and saturated colours. I am assuming this is due to the type of paper which makes the ink appear more saturated and darker in comparison to on the screen. Even though I redited these images, they still came out over saturated and darker than they looked on screen, which was really disappointing. I had the same problem with the neon, yellow and arabian shoots.
The quality of the printing does not do the images justice. Another reason why I think this has happened because I chose Laser printing instead of Lithoprinting because of the cost. If I were to do this again, I would have chosen lithoprinting and dramatcially cut the quantity of zines to maybe 3 or 4. The thing is that if you order more copies it tends to be cheaper, but this usually applies when you are buying in large bulks.
 The credit lines have mostly been hidden into the spine of the book because of the tight binding. I did allow quite a bit of room for this, but it doesn't seem to have been enough! This was a shame too, however if you make sure you open the pages wide enough you can see it perfectly.
In retrospect, looking through my magazine, I am quite disappointed by the layout of some of the pages and feel that I could have done a lot better. I feel that I could have made it look more like  magazine and played around with different ways of laying out the hunts and tips, however this was the formular for most of the shoots and keeps the magazine consistent and simple. It may not show much variety and I hope that the reader doesnt get bored of the same layout and text. I am most pleased with the nail tutorial pages however, I realised that there are a few spelling errors, even though I did proof read the magazine several times but still missed out a few little details.

Online


With the Nail blog running along side my magazine, I have a QR code that directs the reader directly to this blog. I also wanted to incorporate my own work as a stylist onto the magazine and link this to the actual issue of the Zine. Therefore I put a link to my own styling page onto the Nail Blog. This means the reader can gain a full look into my work with also a link on my styling page that takes them to a version of the first issue of San online. The reason I wanted to do this was just in case the printing wasn't exactly what the magazine looked like on screen, the readers have an opportunity too see the images from the shoots at their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment