Wednesday 28 March 2012

Indesign Layout

During the shoot with Francesca Hughes in Farnham, i was with my Graphic Designer and she had taught me a few things on Indesign and helped me set up my magazine. The layout seemed quite easy to get the hang on, but for me i found it quite difficult and daunting to actually starting putting images and copy to the page. So today i finally came over my fear, had finished most of my editing and started to accumulate pages. With just shoots alone, and having a few more left to put in, I have already filled up less than 40 pages. This was the estimate (40-50) I had given to the printers and this could cause a problem. I either have to edit down the shoots I have, or ask for more pages and less copies of my zine in order to keep costs down.


Printers

I visited Indigo Printers in Southampton a week ago and went through the types of paper I will have and am going back tomorrow to get full quotes for my amounts I need. I was told that in order to keep in my budget of £200-£250 I would have to cut down my original amount of copies (100) to half. Hopefully more pages wont increase the price even more and i may have to make some cut backs somewhere.
The first quote i have received stated that i should most likely choose Digital printing over Litho as Litho printing is far more expensive for my budget, 50 copies of A5 would roughly be about £160 only 36pages or 100 copies would be £240. Therefore I am returning for another appointment tomorrow in order to rejig my order and see if i can get a lower price for lower amount of copies. Also i will organise a deadline date, which ideally will be 2/3 weeks before hand in.

Copy

Most of the Zine will be full of mini tips and short caption on the content, however for the talent section of my zine, I have created a short interview and added a fun word association game to go along side it in order for the audience to find out a little bit more about the artist. I have sent this interview out and am waiting on 2 of my contributors to send it back, but am confident they will send it in time!

Layout and Style Research

I have been analysing magazines such as Company High street Edit and Asos Magazine in order to formulate a template and layout for my magazine. I feel that these types of magazines are similar to my publication and harbour a certain feel and style I am going for. I have been looking at simple circles and square designs for image boxes, echoing a magnifying glass shape; I feel that this would suit the context of the Zine because of focus on detailing and styling. I have also drawn a few sketch up pages of each page to try to work out how many pages exactly I will have to have in my Zine in order to gain a proper quote from the printers. I don't want to feel restricted on the content, as I feel this is way more important than the quantity I can get printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment