Wednesday 28 March 2012

Shoots so Far





Vamp Inspired Shoot

This shoot was taken at the end of February and based on a Vampish look. This particular week, i had three shoots booked in a row and unfortunately, like most days, i was finding it hard to find models in time. Even though every day i had been looking on Model Mayhem, messaging models from any surrounding areas of Southampton/ Hampshire and checking their availability. However, Laura, my model from the Print Clash shoot had recommended a friend who was also interested in modelling.

The theme was based on the Vamp look from the winter, but with a summer twist. I wanted to convey a dark and mysterious look, focusing a little more on beauty. As the model turned up she wasn't exactly what I had in mind for the shoot, but luckily she really suited the styling and especially the make up. Her face was very good with the glittery eye make up and also she had piercings that completed the look. I wasn't pleased with all of the images that I had, but I think I have chosen and edited the ones that were most striking and suited the mood I was going for.

Although this shoot turned out well, i am still undecided as to whether it will fit into my magazine. As my Zine will be 'published' in the summer time, this look wouldn't be suited to a spring summer look, even though there are a lot of grungey styled shoots and collections.

All the make up, hair and styling were done by myself and the photography by Flora Martin.





Grunge

I wanted to create a Grunge styled shoot because of the popularity of the style in society today. This look is really big amongst students and college students too. Also I wanted to play around with different Photoshop styles and effects. I collaborated with a Fashion Photographer and I did the hair, make up and styling myself. We wanted to attempt some more photographic effects with the camera to really go with the styling and theme of the shoot, so we decided to put the shutter speed low and creating some ghostly images. For some reason this effect would only really work when the lights weren't as bright, and therefore created dark images. However i was really pleased with the way in which they had turned out and I feel that it added to the grunge theme even more. I had 5 outfits in total and with most of my shoots I'm having difficulty in deciding which images to choose! Also another problem is that I have based my zine and shoots on the number three, so three ways to style an outfit or wear something, but i always end up having more outfits than three and finding it hard to pic images from just three outfits! I guess that when i finish putting together my zine and have to edit it at the end, i will have to be cut throat about it and take images out that are unnecessary.




Maxi Length

For this shoot, I have planned to collaborate with an Illustrator i am interviewing for my magazine. He is in the process of drawing on top of these images, in a kind of Cinderella-esque style shoot with an Aladdin/Arabian theme. The shoot went well apart from the fact that the lighting kits were mostly broken in the JM building. This meant some of the equipment didn't work properly and the background wasn't as bright as i wanted and the images weren't totally in focus. However i managed to select enough photos that were good enough to illustrate on. I suppose this worked in my favour as the shoot is meant to be hazy, dreamy and illustrative. If the illustrations do not work with the images i will re shoot. The idea was based on maxi length items and how to wear them in different ways, but as i was shopping for the garments it evolved into a festival themed. I then had my tutorial with Sharon who said that instead of the Cinderella theme, as it has been done before, I should go along the Aladdin, exotic and Arabian feel in order to make use of my model's curves.


Pastel


To follow up on the spring/summer trends of 2012 I chose a shoot inspired by Pastels and Lace. Chanel's 2012 collection proved this, with bursts of mint, baby pink and yellow. Also i wanted to base the shoot around the shop Primark to show that you can still get a high fashion look and keep up with the trends but still using budget shops.






Following the pastel and lace trend, i wanted to combine the two and create a 60's inspired shoot with a modern twist. This is a big trend at the moment and will be really current in summer. Looking at the Chanel collection, i wanted to really play on the mint green colour that is also really big this summer so i incorporated that a lot within the shoot. I used little mint in the lace detailing i added to the hair, the nails  and bought ribbon for the shoe laces and little accessories to go with it to really give that subliminal mint green message. again i had troubles finding a model, however last minute a model had recommended her friend Penny, who had only done a few shoots for friends to model for me. I was a little apprehensive as she told me she was 5ft 3", but amazingly she doesn't look it in these images! Also she was very beautiful and was really natural in front of the camera. Also my make up artist had cancelled last minute, so i did the make up myself. Another last minute wonder was working with a fashion photographer- Lulu McArdle. It really helps having a full team that knows their speciality and Lulu made some great suggestions like using a different coloured background. As I had bad experiences with colour before i wasn't entirely sure, but as she knew what she was talking about I went with it. I'm glad i did as the orange background brought the colour of the pastel out and made them pop. It also added to the 60's, fun and playful idea I had in mind. This is one of my favourite shoots so far and goes to show if you have the right team and the right lighting anything is possible!






No comments:

Post a Comment